Sunday, May 22, 2005

I Saw the Possum

George JonesJust got back from seeing on of the true legends of country music, George Jones, in concert at the Greensboro Coliseum. My mom and aunt Carol went with me, both of whom saw him live during his heyday, but I must admit, Jones still puts on quite an entertaining show for a 73 year old.

Since my musical intertests diversified a few years back to include the "Classic Country" genre, George Jones has easily become my favorite country artist. Jones puts the "Classic" in "Classic Country." Most of the songs from his hour-and-a-half set were easily recognizable and included my personal favorites "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes" and "He Stopped Loving Her Today," one of the best country songs ever recorded. Another highlight of the show was a medley of a number of his hits that included "Window Up Above," "The Grand Tour," "Walk Through This World With Me," and "She Thinks I Still Care."

There were many other songs he could have played but didn't. If he had tried to play all his hits, he would have played all night. I guess that's what happens when your career spans 50 years. Appropriately enough, he opened the show with his first hit song "Why Baby Why," which was released in 1955. 50 years later, the song, and Jones, is still entertaining those who grew up on his music like my mom and newbies like myself who have developed an appreciation for the man known as "The Possum."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home