Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Monkey Business

I know I'm weighing in a couple days late on this, but, in my estimation, this was a pretty down year for Super Bowl commercials. After Gladys Knight appeared as a rugby player in a pitch for MBNA credit cards, one guy at the Super Bowl gathering I attended said, "You just wasted your $2.4 million!"

My favorites were the ads for CareerBuilder which featured a man working in an office surrounded by chimpanzees in suits going crazy, prompting the man to repeatedly say, "I work with a bunch of monkeys." I know dressing chimps in clothes and getting them to act like humans is an old formula, but it still struck a chord with me.

I also liked the FedEx ad which outlined 10 criteria needed to have the best Super Bowl commercial and then weaved all 10 elements together in the 30-second spot. The 10 elements needed were: 1. a celebrity (Burt Reynolds); 2. a cute animal; 3. a dancing animal; 4. a cute kid; 5. a groin kick; 6. a talking animal; 7. attractive women; 8. product message (optional); 9. a famous pop song; and 10. a bonus ending.

3 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved those monkeys. so funny. the best was the whoopie cushion. haha. so stupid. anyway. you shoudl check out the monkeys website. hah. it is similarly insane - yeknominc.com. it rules.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Chris Knight said...

Did that commercial with Mickey Rooney ever get used? I forget who it was for but Fox said they were yanking it last month 'cuz at one point it was gonna show the Mickster's bare butt. After LAST year's Sooper Bowl they didn't want to take any chances though.

Maybe it was for the best. I mean, Mickey Rooney's OTHER set of cheeks?!? Eeeewwwww...

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Adam said...

dude, i dunno. i thought this year's commercials were pretty good. my favorite were the "don't judge too quickly" commercials...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home