Monday, October 30, 2006

Marine Corps Marathon Race Report

I certainly felt proud to be an American while running a marathon through our nation’s capital on Sunday. The Marine Corps Marathon is aptly dubbed “The People’s Marathon” and “The Marathon of the Monuments.” The event certainly lived up to those descriptors as well as my own expectations.

The Marine Corps Marathon is definitely a marathon of the people, for the people and by the people. A race record 34,000 runners turned out for the 31st annual running of the event. An estimated 120,000 spectators lined the course to offer support and encouragement along the way. About 4,000 marines and civilian volunteers provided service by offering water, aid and words of encouragement throughout the course.

To begin basking in some of the atmosphere of patriotism and pageantry that would be on display during the race, I visited some of the monuments on Saturday afternoon after picking up my race packet at the expo. In addition to the Washington Monument, the Vietnam Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial, I paid my first visit to the World War II Memorial. For dinner that evening, I attended a special pasta dinner at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill, which featured performances by the Marine Corps’ Silent Drill Platoon, who carried out precisely orchestrated rifle drills with no verbal instructions, and the Marine Corps’ Leatherneck Pipe and Drums bagpipe band.

Sunday morning, I arrived at Arlington Cemetery for the race start around 5:30 a.m., and I waited out the start by watching some marines perform some last-minute race set-up, posing for a picture with a group of marines, and talking to some fellow runners. The opening ceremonies included music by the Marine Corps’ Leatherneck Pipes and Drums band, a stirring rendition of the national anthem marked by marines standing at attention, and a flyover by a military Osprey aircraft. A blast from a howitzer served as the starting gun to commence the race.

The course wound its way through Rosslyn and onto the George Washington Memorial Parkway before crossing over the Potomac River on the Francis Scott Key Bridge at mile four. After a trek through Georgetown and a jaunt down the Rock Creek Parkway and back, we entered my favorite segment of the course.

Miles 10 through 16 brought us into the National Mall and routed us past numerous monuments, memorials and landmarks. After entering the Mall from the rear of the Lincoln Memorial, and ran past the White House, the Washington Monument, the Capitol and the Jefferson Memorial. We then entered East Potomac Park and eventually crossed the 14th Street Bridge back into Virginia. After venturing through Crystal City, we returned past the Pentagon and then to the finish at the Iwo Jima Marine Corps War Memorial.

Although my pace had started to slow in Crystal City, I hit the proverbial wall just prior to passing the Pentagon at mile 24. In my two previous marathons I have started out the race much too fast and hit the wall around mile 20. My goal for today was to run at a slow and steady pace and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Although my finishing time of 4 hours, 55 minutes, 28 seconds was considerably slower than my previous marathons, I was pleased that my stamina lasted longer than in my past 26.2 milers.

The final two-tenths of a mile were especially tough marked by a steady incline, but running uphill toward the finish in the shadow of Iwo Jima Memorial was particularly inspiring. Inspiring too were the thousands of marines who staffed the event from distributing race packets at the expo to presenting medals and aid at the finish. I truly felt humbled by these men and women because inside I felt like I should be the one serving them for the sacrifices they make to protect our liberty and freedom, which allow me to participate and enjoy an event like the Marine Corps Marathon. Their presence and service at the event was undoubtedly symbolic of the service they provide to the United States and its citizens each and every day.

So to all the marines who proved true to their motto "Semper Fidelis" (always faithful), and to all of the other individuals serving in our armed forces, I salute you. Oorah!

1 Comments:

At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, great report Chad! Can't wait to see your pictures too :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home