Saturday, August 19, 2006

50-50-50

I've heard of runners who have a lifetime goal to run a marathon in all 50 states. I've read of runners who have run a marathon in all 50 states in the course of one year. But what about running 50 marathons in all 50 states in 50 consecutive days? Well, two runners are on a quest to do just that.

Sam Thompson wrapped up his quest to run 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 consecutive days in his home state of Mississippi today. Since Sam embarked on his 50-in-50-in-50 challenge to bring attention to the relief efforts still needed in the Gulf Coast, it's only fitting that Sam's final two runs took place yesterday in New Orleans and today in Mississippi, nearly one year after Hurricane Katrina struck the region.

On a similar note, ultramarathoner Dean Karnazes, who has before covered 300-plus miles on a single run, is beginning his own 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days quest in September. He's calling it
the endurance 50. Since most marathons are run on weekends, Karnazes is recreating the courses of marathons in certain cities during the week, and running in some regularly scheduled marathons on the weekends. Interestingly enough, I'll get to join Karnazes on his quest. One of the regularly scheduled marathons Karnazes is running is the the Marine Corps Marathon on Oct. 29 in Washington, D.C., which I'll also be participating in.

Like Thompson and Karnazes, I have a personal goal to run a marathon in all 50 states (plus Washington, D.C.), but unlike them, I don't think I'll do it 50 consecutive days. I do, however, like their play on the number "50." So I think I'll add my own little twist. How about 50 marathons in 50 states by the time I turn 50? (Technically, it's 51 marathons in 51 states since I'm adding D.C., but 50 has a better ring to it.) That means I'll need to average three marathons a year from now till I turn 50. That sounds challenging enough for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home