Thursday, November 24, 2005

Giving Thanks

One of my favorite traditions is reading the Thanksgiving Day columns from veteran sportswriters like Furman Bisher of the Atlanta Journal Constitution and Ron Green Sr. of the Charlotte Observer.

Each year, these two venerable scribes eloquently count the blessings of life's simple pleasures with some sports references and humor mixed in for good measure. So on the day set aside to give thanks, I'll offer my own list in the style of Bisher and Green.

Today, I'm thankful for...


Food, clothing and shelter, for with these things the Bible says we should be content.

Parents who love me, believe in me and encourage me.

My brother, Brad and his calls and letters that I look forward to receiving each week.

Family and friends near and far, and the memories of good times shared together.

Tori and Stephanie, who can bring a smile to my face without even trying.

Football in January, basketball in March and baseball in October.

Another national basketball championship for my beloved North Carolina Tar Heels.

Parking spaces that are wide enough to pull in and open the car door.

The beach in the summer and the mountains in the fall....and for living in a state where I can enjoy both.

A good night's sleep.

Convenience stores that are open 24 hours.

A glowing "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign that lets me know it's time to fetch a dozen glazed Krispy Kremes.

Twinkling stars on a crisp, clear night.

Another Thanksgiving column from Furman and Ron. I'm already looking forward to next year's.

Those of you (namely Chris and Adam) who post comments to my blog...at least then I know that someone is reading.

1 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Blogger Chris Knight said...

Good column Chad. And I have it on good authority that way more than just us two guys like reading your blog :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home